Thursday 17 September 2009

Are Modern Day special effects Ruining film?

Recently I went to watch the film 'G.I. Joe, The Rise of Cobra'. Having said the film itself was cheesy and stereotypical, the effects where not bad, but on the other hand, it does not keep in the realism of film.


-Spoiler-

There is a main piece in the film where the main evil base is destroyed by Ice falling ontop of it and crushing it. Now what strikes me, is that the base is underwater.

Ice does not sink, the effects here are pretty good, but I think as a fan of special effects, we would have all settled with a nice big explosion to finish off the stereotypical 'we beat the bad guys' style of this film.



Another prime example I see if a classic example of the director thinking 'How much sound and effects can we cram into this film to make it work' is Transformers 2.
Transformers 2 is another example of trashy blockbuster cinema, which opens up with Megan fox straddling a bike like she is posing for FHM magazine.
Now, Noted this film holds the second-highest opening day gross of all time, but I felt as though this film had too much CGI and sound in to be taken seriously as a film. The CGI was neccesary for the film considering it's about robots, but I still felt as though it somehow ruins the drama for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment